Friday, August 11, 2017

The 2017 Not a Bystander art project April 1 - Canada Day 150

 
The complete 2017 Not a Bystander art collection is laid out before the Alberta Legislature, Edmonton, Alberta on treaty 6 Territory, Canada.  On the bottom left of the photo a small painting from last years 2016 The Fire and Rain art project. Other smaller paintings were given away as gifts during public art shows.  


The 2017 Not a Bystander art collection that began late March was completed Canada Day and will continue to tour city streets and public squares of Edmonton until December 20, 2017. 


Anti-bullying activist Manwar Khan with Doug Brinkman

 On my way to the Alberta Legislature to do my 72 nd. outdoor art show of the 2017 Not a Bystander art project I was thrilled and honoured taking a picture of friends Paul Franklin and his pal Achilles next to my painting Vimy- Not a Bystander. Paul lost both his legs in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan and has since become a nationally known advocate for amputees. Achilles loves making his rounds getting petted and enjoys Mexican tacos at local eateries. Paul recently returned home from France after participating in the commemoration of (battle of) Vimy (Ridge)100


Next to the completed Vimy-Not a BystanderThe Honorable Ms. Nicole Goehring (ND) Government of Alberta’s Liaison to the Canadian Armed Forces. The painting is promised to Nicole. 
Next to the start of Vimy-Not a Bystander: Laurie Daniel Hawn PC CD is a retired Lieutenant Colonel of the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was the Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre from 2006 until 2015. He served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence from October 10, 2007 until May 24, 2011.

She just came up to me and smiled, took my paint brush and palette from me and began to paint. Her Husband looked shocked and I said "Its okay, this is exactly what I wanted to see happen with this art project, community participation!" 


A man who is a comic artist was also invited to add a few brush strokes to my painting "She smiles after all that..." part of the Not A Bystander art project that invites community input.

Other participants included these school children who suggested I paint something that represents  Ying and Yang, MLA (Wildrose) David Hanson suggested a crow known for it's intelligence and MLA (ND) Rod Loyola suggested a yellow star that he says represents hope. 

A man in front of Edmonton City Hall watched and kept me company as I added to the painting She smiles after all that.


Early April: First few days painting She smiles after all that inside Sir Winston Churchill square, Edmonton on Treaty 6 Territory. Last year my 2016 Fire and Rain art project endured 3 verbal bans by officials with the Government of Alberta and was threaten with police action by a City of Edmonton employee. The 2017 Not a Bystander art project was delayed as a result because I had to defend my right to freely express myself with art in public. I used art as my placard to picket in front of City Hall and on public sidewalks for 38 days. On March 10th I ended my picket after a meeting with the city. I received an apology and we agreed to work together so I can freely express myself as a Canadian with art without duress.

No comments:

Post a Comment